Friday 3 December 2010

Time and Motion

Throughout November I kept notes on the number of hours that I worked each day, and what I was spending that time on. Unsurprisingly, Making A Film took up a lot of time. What surprised me was how much time two of my subjects took up.

As I've mentioned both here and on my main blog and at Suite101, throughout November I kept detailed notes on the number of hours that I worked each day, and what I work I was spending that time on.

The shortest day I worked was a three and a half hour day, when I was ill. That was almost entirely taken up with reading and networking, which can be done from bed. Four of the six longest days were -unsurprisingly- Mondays, when I'm in uni from nine until four or six o'clock.

The baseline is that of the two hundred and forty hours that I worked, ninety-six were spent solely on university work, plus the twenty-eight hours of reading. I counted this journal separately from blogging, since it's for a specific purpose.

Excluding reading, a whopping 43% of my uni hours are spent on this subject, for what is 33% of my marks. Including reading, it drops to a third, which is about right...except that we are supposed to read for this subject as well. Perhaps I should shave off the reading for this subject? No. I thought not; it's sub-divided enough already.

It isn't just me that feels that Making A Film is a colossal time-sink. Almost every one of my group has expressed similar sentiments this term. (And like me, they were probably most forcibly expressed when we were cold, tired, or otherwise stressed)

There is a alternative view to this. The two subjects which take up most of my time -this and Feature Journalism account for almost two-thirds of my uni time- are the two that I'm least familiar with. I can dash off a thousand words of fiction for Core or Genre in a little over a day. But I'm familiar with them.

So maybe it's appropriate that this and Journalism are time sinks, since if I don't spend most of my time on them, I won't learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment