Sunday 5 December 2010

You Should Be Dancing...

Christmas is coming, time to show one of the very best ads of the year, even though I can't quite put my finger on what it is that makes such a very good film - be it characterization, music, or just...fun.



It's Christmas, a time for (self-)indulgence. After all I've been faithfully linking to short student films all term -- now it's time for some me-time...and this is a short film...even if it's shorter than usual and has about a million times the budget of most of the films I've profiled this term.



Purely as an ad, the M&S campaign is brilliant, and shows what can be done if one has almost unlimited resources. But more than that, on a personal level I can't help but smile when this comes on the tv. And last night I tracked the ad down in it's entirety....





I'm still trying to work out why it's such a good ad. Part of it is the nostalgia that any track from the summer of 76 evokes, let alone a landmark disco track; part of it is the embedded conflict between Peter Kay's character and Twiggy. Part of it is the sheer fun that everyone seems to be having.

No comments:

Post a Comment